Monday, November 22, 2010

Stained

I looked at your face today, Baba
and I saw all that would scare me.
I saw that colour
that was just as dirty as mine.
I saw that frown, Baba.
A frown from years of failure and sorrow,
a frown that has appeared way too soon
on me.
I saw a smile but that was Ma's;
three decades she has worked on
to put it on your face to put it on mine.
But Baba, why were you the stronger one
in your union? In your love?
Why were you the stronger one to pass on your grief
to the next generation?
Why were you the stronger one to pass on the dirty colour?
I wanted Ma's white, I wanted Ma's unrepentant smile.
Baba, you didn't fail. I don't complain.
You were just a man.
You are just a man.
I looked at your face today, Baba.
I did not like what I saw.
I looked at your face today, Baba.
I saw me.


---
All things bright and Biprorshee? Really?...

No comments: